3 Easy Breathing Exercises
Sometimes, leaving your worries behind can prove difficult. When the weight of the routine becomes overwhelming, take a step back and breathe. The easiest and most effective way to ease tensions and calm the voice within is as easy as breathing.
Mindful breathing brings balance to the mind and body. Best of all, you can do it any time, any place, and as many times as you need. There’s an easy technique to suit every need, discover three of our favourites here.
Breathing With Visualization
Picture yourself somewhere you love. Feeling stressed or tense is far more difficult when you think of somewhere peaceful. Combine visualization with purposeful breathing to unwind and find your inner haven.
- Sit or stand with your arms hanging gently at your side and close your eyes.
- Picture a place or event that brings you joy. Inhale slowly for several seconds.
- Hold that thought and exhale slowly through your mouth, allowing a sense of wellbeing to flood your entire body.
- Repeat the process 3 to 5 times.
This form of breathing is naturally practised by infants. Adults unlearn this healthy breathing pattern with time, and resort to chest breathing. Belly or abdominal breathing improves airflow by more than 70%.
- Sit in a comfortable position or lie down on your back on a soft surface.
- Rest one hand on your stomach, just above your navel and place your other hand in the middle of your chest.
- Inhale slowly and deeply through your nose. Allow the air to flow into your belly. You should feel the hand on your stomach rise.
- Hold your breath for a few seconds. Exhale through pursed lips, pushing your belly down.
- Repeat this cycle for 3 to 10 breaths.
Unwind With an At-Home Spa Day
4-7-8 Breathing Technique
Often referred to as “relaxing breath,” this breathing exercise offers significant health benefits to those with anxiety or sleep-related issues.
- Exhale fully. Slowly inhale through your nose for 4 seconds.
- Hold the air in your lungs for 7 seconds.
- Expel the air as forcefully as possible over a period of 8 seconds.
- Repeat the cycle 4 times.
No matter the day, time, and place—taking the time to breathe can bring you peace of mind. To pursue your wellness journey, head to the spa, where you will be surrounded by the tranquility of nature and have access to a wide range of facilities and treatments to ease mind, body, and soul.